Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Lyons Outdoor Games South Saint Vrain Creek Race

The city of Lyons is now most famous for the flood that took place there over a year ago. The flood took out most of the city, ripping through roads, vehicles, pipe lines and too many homes. Though the city of Lyons and it’s locals have been knocked down, they have also gotten back up and have continued with their tradition of hosting the Lyons Outdoor Games. 

This years Lyons Outdoor Games were able to return the South Saint Vrain Creek race to the list of event. Last year the creek race was put on hiatus being that the roadside creek had washed most of the riverbed and road away. This year all the paddlers were excited to have this creek race back in action. Though the course has changed in comparison to years past, mainly being that the entire river is now different, I personally think it has changed for the better. 

The creek race started off with a bang as you seal-launch off a rock into the river and then down the biggest rapid of the race section. The race section was a fast paced class 4 run with lots of tight moves and little boofs. We had two runs with only our best time counting. I layer down a good run for my first time, though it was my second run that I was most fired up on. I felt like I nailed all my lines with almost no mistakes, I finished knowing that was probably the best I could do.


After all the dust settled and the results came back it turned out I was knocked off the top seat by Dane Jackson, though I couldn’t have been more excited to take second with a great run and behind a super fast paddler and good friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment